US Department of Veterans Affairs
- United States Citizenship : Non-citizens may only be appointed when it is not possible to recruit qualified citizens in accordance with VA Policy.
- English Language Proficiency. RRTs appointed to direct patient-care positions must be proficient in spoken and written English as required by 38 U.S.C. 7402(d), and 7407(d).
- Registered Respiratory Therapist. Has a certificate as an RRT from the NBRC (National Board for Respiratory Care) and a registry number, or a certificate from another body which the NBRC recognizes as its credentialing equivalent. This includes registration based on either:
- Having fulfilled the requirements and passed the registry examination administered by the NBRC since 1983, or
- Having fulfilled the requirements and passed the registry examination for a registered inhalation or respiratory therapist administered by the (1) National Board for Respiratory Therapy from July 1974 through 1982 or (2) American Registry of Inhalation Therapists from 1961 through June 1974.
Grade Determination : GS-08: At least 1 year of successful experience related to respiratory therapy at the GS-7 level or equivalent. Qualifying experience at this level is work which includes duties such as: administering assisted and controlled ventilation to patients with tracheotomies and other complex medical problems requiring frequent adjustments in ventilator parameters; administering and monitoring advanced ventilator techniques such as positive end expiratory pressure and continuous positive airway pressure; developing plans for weaning patients from ventilators; assessing the respiratory status of patients using data acquired through physical observation and clinical analysis of blood gas data, chest x-rays, and electrocardiogram to determine the effectiveness of therapy being administered and to make recommendations to physicians regarding changes in treatment; performing the most difficult respiratory therapy procedures to maintain ventilation, including endotracheal intubation, tracheal lavage, and tracheotomy care; and providing in-service training to others in various specialized areas of respiratory care.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities required for the position: 1) Demonstrated knowledge and ability needed to perform complex respiratory procedures with minimal supervision. Is able to participate with physicians and nurses and other staff in planning respiratory treatment, with great reliance on the individual’s knowledge of the equipment.2) Demonstrated knowledge and ability to provide emergency or critical respiratory care; service as a shift leader or supervisor or sole responsible respiratory therapist on a shift; and to plan and conduct training sessions with respiratory therapy students, hospital staff, patients, and family members.
References: VA Handbook 5005 Part II, Appendix G11 Registered Respiratory Therapist dated April 15, 2002
The full performance level of this vacancy is GS-08. The actual grade at which an applicant may be appointed is at the GS-08 grade level.
Physical Requirements: Work is primarily performed in patient care areas, in-patient and outpatient. Extensive interaction with patients, staff, physicians, family members, and visitors involved. Moving equipment and supplies, lifting, bending, stooping, and possible exposure to body fluid is involved.
|Better Chance At Finding High Paying Job Elite Carrier Seeker|
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.