Veritiv has an expansive North American network with more than 170 locations, and we do business with more than half of the Fortune 500. We’re a big company, but we’re also a new company, shaping our systems and processes to support a successful and sustainable future. We don’t just encourage an entrepreneurial spirit, we embody it.
Are you looking to join a company where you feel empowered in your work and your job is not just a job,but a path toward a rewarding and successful career? Do you want to be part of a company that customers and suppliers not only want to do business with but need to do business with?
If you answered yes, then Veritiv might be the place for you. We encourage you to learn about and apply to Veritiv if you seek a unique work experience, where diverse ideas are met with enthusiasm, and where you can realize your full potential.
Job Summary and Scope:
The overall objectives of this position are to:
ensure the Company is in compliance with all Operating (Property and Transaction) Tax state and local tax laws, financial reporting and tax payment requirements, as well as GAAP and SOX requirements associated with ASC 450
partner with the Business on corporate initiatives to plan and structure operations and to ensure the Company is engaged in tax planning and strategy development for minimizing property and transaction tax expense and exposure,
ensure all state and local audit defenses and advocacy initiatives for the Company are adequately planned and directed, and
- provide leadership to Sr. Accountants/Accountants and collaborative support for the all Tax Managers.
- Develop and implement strategies to minimize and reduce the overall operating tax burden for the company through tax planning, research, and analysis for all 50 states and local jurisdictions. Monitor legislative developments in applicable areas of the tax law to determine the impact on the Company.
Manage all Property and Transaction tax compliance including returns, assessments and tax payments as necessary for the Company. This includes the development and implementation of practices and procedures for efficient collection of information prior to preparation of the tax returns and new processes as necessary to meet changing internal processes and systems.
- Manage all accounting for Property and Transaction taxes including monthly account reconciliations, general ledger journal entries, and appropriateness of account balances.
Manage and maintain documentation of tax policies and procedures to ensure SOX compliance, and manage processes to ensure timely recognition and financial reporting of ASC 450 exposures (loss contingencies).
Provide Tax Business Advisory services to other departments as needed including accurate and timely analysis and research. Review, analyze and provide feedback for vendor and customer contracts and leases to ensure the appropriate language is included from an Operating Tax perspective. Guide approach to internal and external customer requests regarding tax discrepancies, account setup, taxability of products and services, tax policies, customer exemption documentation, and all other tax-related matters, drive corrective actions when necessary. Advise business units on Property and Transaction tax issues regarding acquisitions/dispositions.
Manage the relationship with tax auditors. Conduct and control the Company’s examinations including collection of information, defend the Company’s tax positions and work with all agents. Manage all notices and responses. Negotiate with the states/local jurisdictions on tax, penalty and interest assessments in order to minimize the Company’s liabilities.
Manage, train and develop the tax seniors/accountants/consultants working on projects in this area
Qualifications / Knowledge & Experience:
Education: Minimum requirements include Bachelors Degree in Accounting, Management, or Finance with CPA certificate or Certified Member of the Institute (CMI) preferred.
Experience: Extensive experience in work environment dealing with large corporate tax affairs which may be in industry, Big 4 accounting firm or similar surroundings (at least 5-8 years required with 8-12 preferred). Preferred strong experience with Transaction Tax principals.
- Skills and Demonstrated Behaviors:
- Extensive knowledge of accounting principles and Operating Tax law required as well as effective research, writing and analytical skills. Able to lead property and transaction tax function for a large company in 50 states.
Able to deliver results, often under tight deadlines.
- Must be a solid team player and demonstrate the ability to work effectively in a collaborative environment across functional areas. Instills trust necessary for teamwork through direct and truthful interactions.
- Must be “customer driven” to provide accurate and timely results to Real Estate, Operations, Finance, Accounting, Legal, and Human Resources, etc as necessary.
Is able to identify and create processes necessary to complete a specific assignment or goal. Good communication and interpersonal skills as well as patience are required.
- Is action oriented and takes the initiative, manages upward, able to multitask and maintain focus.
Working Conditions/Physical Requirement:
Position Requires Travel as necessary but less than 10%.
- This position has the authority to make technical and process-oriented decisions, subject to review by the Director – Operating Tax, relative to their area of responsibilities for Operating Tax as well as negotiations with regard to external audits; also the authority to make tax planning decisions for the minimization of the operating tax burden or improvement of cash flow.
- Senior Tax Accountants, Tax Accountants
Outside service providers as required
Veritiv is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer/M/F/V/D. Individuals seeking employment are considered without regards to race, ethnicity, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, age, disability, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status or any other classification protected by law. Additionally, Veritiv will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with Veritiv’s legal duty to furnish information. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here:http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf
|From the USA? You Can Earn Beer Money – Click Me|
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.