This position provides high-level secretarial and administrative support to three or more attorneys. Assist attorneys in preparing litigation cases from onset through post trial; Document production and management, data mining, research; obtaining and organizing case files on a daily basis; preparing, organizing and maintaining deposition materials and summaries; assisting with trial and mediation preparations; enters time on a regular basis; assist with document production including creation and editing of various legal forms, correspondence and documents.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Handles scheduling and travel arrangements. Schedules court appearances, depositions, arbitrations, mediations, client meetings and conference calls; arranges business itineraries and coordinates lawyers’ travel arrangements; processes travel reimbursement, maintains calendar and due dates for lawyers as required.
- Organizes and coordinates flow of information. Sorts, reads and annotates incoming mail and documents as required – attaches appropriate file to facilitate necessary action; determines routing, signatures required, and maintains follow-ups. Answers phones and directs callers to appropriate persons as circumstances warrant.
- Types and composes general correspondence, memos, legal documents, faxes, reports, etc. from various sources (e.g., handwritten notes, tape dictation). Prepares communications outlined by lawyer in oral or written directions. Responsible for accuracy and clarity of final copy. Correlates and edits materials submitted by others. Organizes material that may be presented to lawyers in draft format. Ensures that all correspondence or other documentation is dispatched in a timely manner (via mail, messenger, express delivery services, etc.)
- Prepares draft documents such as briefs, complaints, motions, subpoenas, summonses, using firm templates and information from attorneys. Prepares motion binders and special working binders. Coordinates multi-document filings in both state and federal courts, including E-filings.
- Establishes and maintains filing and records, in both hard copy and electronic formats. Files information in a timely manner. Retrieves information from files as requested. Sends files to storage on a periodic basis.
- Enters lawyers’ time on a daily basis and sends to accounting by month-end deadlines. Prepares client billing as required.
- Researches and abstracts information and support data in preparation for meetings, work projects, and reports.
- Takes action authorized by Lawyer, Business Director or HR Manager using initiative and good judgment in handling matters.
- Notifies appropriate parties the status of assigned lawyers; notifies HR Manager about availability to assist with overflow work.
- Assists attorneys in in all stages of litigation cases from onset through post trial.
- Ascertains calendaring requirements for each matter and ensures proper maintenance of any required case calendars.
- Oversees organization, maintenance and appropriate utilization of documents and other case-related materials, including maintenance of client-presentable and efficient work areas and case rooms.
- Assists with the discovery process, including preparing for deposition, propounding and responding to written discovery and preparing for expert discovery.
- Oversees and conducts document reviews; prepares documentation regarding criteria changes; tracks and reports on review progress and results.
- Performs analytical tasks, including preparing witness interview memoranda, reviewing and summarizing documents and deposition and court transcripts and creating and using substantive coding tools.
- Assists with law and motion practice, including assembling motion papers and exhibits, coordinating filings of pleadings and briefs and ensuring proper service.
- Performs and oversees both simple and complex cite checking and proof reading of briefs and other legal documents.
- Assists with trial preparation, including creating trial notebooks, identifying and organizing exhibits, coordinating witness schedules, maintaining trial calendars and communicating effectively with opposing counsel and courtroom staff.
Skills & Competencies:
- Established understanding of litigation laws as they relate to individuals, partnerships and corporations. Familiarity with California Code of Civil Procedure and Federal Rules of Civil Procedure rules for court document filings.
- Comprehension of a variety of legal court documents, including complaints, answers, rulings, judgments, affidavits, motions, appeals, table of contents/authorities, subpoenas, court dockets, reports, memos and correspondence.
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite applications including Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook, as well as document management and other office technologies. Expertise in e-filing.
- Strong ability to maintain high standards, use good judgment and seek out ways to contribute and anticipate needs.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and ability to manage time effectively.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills and the ability to collaborate well in a team.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk from work station, to desk or to go to various offices to retrieve assignments. This position may also be sedentary and require the employee to sit for extended periods of time.
- Requires manual dexterity to dial a telephone, enter data into a computer, handle objects and operate tools.
- Some filing is required and this would entail the ability to lift files, open filing cabinets and bend or stand as necessary.
- Position also requires the ability to work under pressure to meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work overtime on an as-needed basis.
Qualifications & Prior Experience:
- Requires 5 or more years of experience as a legal secretary, working in a business law practice with exposure to litigation.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent education and work experience.
At Greenberg Traurig, we are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. It has been, and continues to be our goal, to foster a well-balanced workforce that contains a significant presence of minorities and women.
|From the USA? You Can Earn Beer Money – Click Me|
To apply for this job please visit www.indeed.com.