Flegel's Construction Co., Inc.
Job Title: Journeyman Carpenter
FLSA” Status: Non-Exempt
Reports To: Foreman, Project Manager I, Project Manager II, Director of Construction Operations, or Other Executives
The primary responsibilities of the Journeyman Carpenter is to study specifications or building plans to prepare a project layout and complete Carpenter Skills and Tasks as assigned.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Primary Responsibility – Advanced Carpenter Skills and Tasks
- Ability to distinguish structures or outlets on building plans
- Install structures and fixtures
- Verify job site is left properly secured at end of shift
- Identify specifications such as blueprints to determine construction requirements and required procedures per UBC standards
- Assign work to employees based on material and work requirements of specific jobs
- Lay building foundation
- Create structural outline (on the ground of the site) by making use of strings and pegs for the excavations
- Install, build and repair doors, cabinets, shelves, windows, blinds and other things as required
- Assist in the training of apprentices, ensure safety standards are followed
- Any other carpenter duties as assigned
Secondary Responsibility – Basic Carpenter Skills and Tasks
- Provide and maintain use of personal tools, tool bags, nail gun and power tools typical for a Journeyman Carpenter
- Follow established construction methods, safety procedures on company policies and maintain a safe and clean environment
- Confer with a Foreman, Project Manager I, Project Manager II, Director of Construction Operations, or other Executive Officers as assigned to resolve issues and coordinate activities to ensure timely project completion
- Read and identify blue prints and how they translate into the building structure
- Understand and interpret drawings of rough layouts
- Determine the dimensions, materials required and the installation process checklist by reading the plans
- Construct cement molds, set and finish concrete
- Build partitions and strip concrete forms
- Shape or cut materials to specified measurements
- Measure and mark cutting lines on materials
- Build or repair flooring, frameworks or fixtures and assemble additional materials to frameworks or fissures as needed
- Remove damaged or defective materials
- Accurately track/record use and storage of tools and equipment
- Assist general construction crew as required
- Any other duties as assigned
Measurement of Success
- Ensure customer satisfaction 100% of the time.
- Maintain accountability of tools and equipment 100% of the time.
- Be proficient in understanding/interpreting all project specifications; blueprints, first aid and safety reports, safety inspections/guidelines, building codes, regulations and standards with 100% accuracy.
- Handle and problem solve all unforeseen situations and issues with integrity and swiftness using effective communication skills.
- Ensure project activities are completed to ensure timely project completion.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. In addition, the individual must be punctual, have a good attendance record, and have reliable means of transportation to work.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Effective verbal and written communications skills.
- Possess great customer service skills and be able to work with all types of clients.
- Excellent organizational and planning skills in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule and establish effective priorities.
- Ability to work mandatory overtime when needed.
- Understanding of basic algebra, geometry, and math.
- Ability to work well in a team and individually.
- Exhibit an outgoing, upbeat personality in any social situation and maintains a flexible approach to all assignments.
- Ability to accept constructive criticism in a high-stress work environment.
- Ability to respond calmly with solutions to construction problems or during an emergency/safety situation.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as, company policy, and procedure manuals,
- Possess excellent mathematical skills including the ability to add, subtract, multiply and divide quickly without a calculator and apply the concepts of percentage, commissions and discounts.
- Ability to pass a respiratory fit test.
- Ability to pass a background check and drug test.
- Must possess a valid CA driver’s license.
- Must possess a valid Vehicle Registration and evidence of insurance coverage.
- Some knowledge of first-aid and applicable safety precautions.
- Minimum Seven years of experience operating construction equipment, materials and supplies.
- General knowledge of California Building Codes
- General knowledge of streets, sewers and public and private codes.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 7 years hands in construction as a residential carpenter in residential construction with excellent hands on constructions skills.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work up to 50 hours per week.
- Ability to work 5days a week.
- Regularly talk and listen up to 10 hours a day.
- Regularly stand for prolonged periods of time over the course of an 8-10 hour day.
- Regularly walk, bend, stoop, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- Regularly climb stairs carrying a minimum of 401bs.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 50 lbs.
- Ability to safely operate all construction power tools.
- Ability to lift, push, pull or carry heavy objects using abdominal and lower back muscle
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The noise level in the work environment is high.
- Work environment is a fast paced, frequently changing environment in which interruptions is considered normal.
- Work environment involves moderate exposure to occasional inclement weather conditions.
- Work environment involves moderate exposure to physical risks such as operating dangerous equipment or working with chemicals.
- Work involves moderate exposure to unusual elements such as mild to hot temperatures dirt, mold, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises; asbestos, silica, and lead.
- Chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer or birth defects or other reproductive harm may be present in the work site environment.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $30.00 to $36.00 /hour
- Carpentry: 7 years (Preferred)
Involves the operation of small equipment and tools, including:
- Pavement breakers and jackhammers
- Cement, plaster, and mortar mixers
- Bi weekly or Twice monthly
|From the USA? You Can Earn Beer Money – Click Me|
To apply for this job please visit www.simplyhired.com.